Bridgwater Hospital dates back to 1813 when a general public meeting held at the grand jury room on the 26th June presided over by the Mayor Mr. James Mills, who decided that “a medical institution be established in the town for the relief of the labouring poor requiring medical and surgical assistance in this and neighbouring parishes”.

The Infirmary was opened in a house in Back Street (now Clare St) and being rented at £35 a year and £5 a year for a portion of the garden. Exact location is unknown

It stayed in Back St until 1820 when the corporation agreed to purchase a "spacious house and garden in Salmon Lane now Salmon Parade for £700 for enlarging the infirmary.
The infirmary was then supported by voluntary contributions for many years to come

There was talk of providing the town with a new hospital for about 25 years and in 2013 it seemed it was finally going to happen.

Money for a new Bridgwater Community Hospital is part of the government's £330m investment for new NHS facilities across England.

Tthe new hospital has 30 inpatient beds, a midwifery-led maternity unit, a minor injury unit and X-ray and space for mobile scanners.

The total cost of the project is £33m and the remaining balance will be paid for by NHS Somerset and Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.

The new Hospital finally opened in Bower Lane on the 30th April 2014