Records of the Bridgwater Rural Council show that we have always had our own Police Force.

As far back as 1417 records show that local prominent men were chosen to watch over the streets of our town although they never had any type of uniform just a stave to sort out any unruly local people whom they would encounter  

The First Police Station or Gaol was established in around the late 1700's and was in Fore Street. The gaol had separate rooms for men and women and was overseen by James Bussell a sergeant-at-mace at 2s per week.

 

The Bridgwater Borough Police Force was established on December 10th 1839 and consisted of the Chief Constable, two sergeants and ten constables, governed by the Watch Committee.

In 1875 it moved to the High Street where they remained until 1911 when they settled in Northgate in what is now the old Magistrates Court House.

In October 1940, the force was finally merged into the county constabulary and a new building was erected in 1965 on the site of the Mariners Arms Public House, after an embarrassing disaster where the partly erected building collapsed.